Please follow this simple code to ensure enjoyable riding, safety of others and continued use of the route.
Consideration for others
- Always give way / yield to walkers, and remember that some people may have impaired hearing or sight.
- Be courteous and considerate to others, acknowledging those who give way / yield to you.
- Watch your speed when close to others and do not race.
- Respect other land management activities, such as farming and forestry.
- Alongside water, be aware of the space needed by anglers and boat users.
Care for the environment
- Can you reach the start of your journey by bike or public transport?
- Follow the Country Code; in particular respect crops, livestock and wildlife.
- Always take home litter.
- Keep erosion to a minimum in sensitive areas.
- Thank you for cycling! The bicycle is the most efficient and environmentally friendly form of transport. Plus, it helps you keep fit and healthy.
Look after yourself
- Take special care when cycling downhill. Using a body part as a brake tends to be very painful.
- Match your speed to the surface and your skills.
- Always cycle within your ability. An accident or breakdown in remote areas can be frustrating, if not more serious.
- In remote areas carry warm and waterproof clothing, bring emergency food, a lamp and a compass.
- Ensure your bike is safe to ride.
- Always carry with you the tools to make any repair and also a full stocked puncture repair kit.
- Always wear a helmet and protective clothes.